Healthiest? Impossible to say, but according to Men’s Fitness (March 2006) Dean Karnazes is the “fittest man in the world”. Karnazes is an endurance athlete who competes in ultramarathons and various other endurance events. According to Dean’s website his accomplishments include:
- Ran 350 continuous miles, foregoing sleep for three nights.
- Ran across Death Valley in 126 degree temperatures.
- Ran a marathon to the South Pole in negative 40 degrees.
- On seven different occasions, ran a 200-mile relay race solo, racing alongside teams of twelve.
- Dean has swum across the San Francisco Bay, scaled Half Dome in Yosemite.
- Mountain-biked for 24-hours straight.
- Dean is a Ten-time Western States 100-Mile Endurance Run Silver Buckle winner,
Dean is currently attempting to run 50 marathons, in 50 days, in all 50 states. The event, dubbed the “Endurance 50”, started September 17th and ends on November 5th taking Dean all over the country in search of the next marathon.
Dean’s mission with this courageous event is to “encourage, motivate, and inspire people of all ages to become active, make physical wellness an essential and enjoyable priority in their lives and to promote healthy, active living”
I think this is a great story and it does a lot to motivate me. There are many mornings where I don’t feel like doing my run but I think of this guy grinding through 50 consecutive days of MARATHONS and I get my rear in gear.