During a recent grocery shopping trip, I decided to pick up a box of frozen Quorn Chicken Patties. I had previously heard good things about Quorn on vegetarian cooking shows and the packaging was full of appealing healthy phrases like “Low In Fat”, “0g Trans Fat”, “High In Protein”, “High In Fiber”.
My son and I had Quorn burgers for dinner that night and we were pleasantly suprised by how good they tasted- just like chicken! I was thrilled to have found such a tasty new meat substitute to add to our vegetarian meal rotation. My happiness was short lived when both my son and I started having stomach aches. My son had it worse than me. He said he felt like he was going to puke. I felt like I had swallowed a lead brick that kept on expanding. I went online to look up exactly what is in Quorn.
The official Quorn website states that Quorn is a mycoprotein and that there are 600,000 types of fungi in the world, including a wide variety of mushrooms, truffles and morels. That didn’t sound all that bad. They made it seem like Quorn is a mushroom burger. Wrong!
The mycoprotein that is in Quorn is called “Fusarium Venenatum”. It is a moldy fungus that is grown in large fermentation tanks by the Quorn corporation. Under certain conditions, “Fusarium venenatum” can morph into toxins known as trichothecene mycotoxins, causing nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Quorn products have sickened hundreds of people. CSPI has been gathering their sickening stories and sharing them on their website. They also are pushing for the removal of Quorn products from store shelves.
After finding all of that out, I thank my lucky stars that we didn’t have an extreme allergic reaction. If I had known about the true ingredients in Quorn, I would have never tried it! We will be avoiding Quorn like the plague in the future and will be sticking to the veggie burger brands that that are mold and fungus free.